A Common Postpartum Issue Is Diastasis Recti, or Ab Separation. This is a condition that needs to be addressed to ensure you restore your core therefore it can protect your joints throughout your life
- Lie on your back and become completely relaxed.
- Curl your head up off the ground and gently lift your shoulders off the ground. You are going to do so in such a way that you are looking at your belly button. If you see a bulge or tenting you may have a diastasis.
- Return back to a resting position.
- Place two fingers right at your belly button and lift your head up again so that your shoulders are hovering off the ground. What you are feeling for is a separation; if you do feel a gap between your muscles, measure them by finger widths. You want to fit no more than two fingers in the gap.
- Now, place your fingers two inches above your belly button, continuing to feel for gaps. Continue in two-inch increments until you reach your sternum, at the bottom of your chest.
- Walk your hands back to your belly button and repeat the process, this time moving below your belly button until you hit the pubic bone.